Child and Adolescent Psychologist
Fiona is a registered psychologist who completed her Master of Psychology (Educational and Developmental) at Monash University. She has experience working with children, adolescents and young adults from a variety of socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds in a range of settings, including government, Catholic and independent sectors. Fiona has a passion for working with young people and is aware of the many challenges they face. She is able to effectively liaise with young people, parents and schools to create positive outcomes. She has an interest in a range of educational related issues including anxiety, learning difficulties, stress, school and university transitions, emotion regulation, ADHD, social challenges and resilience.
As a former secondary teacher and a Head of Year 9, Fiona has extensive knowledge of the education sector particularly the VCE. She understands the importance of how best to support children, adolescents and young people through their education as well as socially and emotionally. Fiona believes in the importance of developing the whole child and person by equipping them with skills to deal with life challenges and support personal development. She aims to work collaboratively to share and personalise appropriate strategies, techniques and recommendations for an individual, while including their family and schools to assist them in reaching their full potential.
Fiona uses a person-centred therapy style and uses elements of various evidence-based therapeutic models including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) as well as strength-based approaches. She has had experience in conducting psycho-educational assessments to determine learning, cognitive and social and emotional needs. Further, Fiona has facilitated group programs and has developed information sessions for parents and adolescents on issues such as the importance of sleep, stress management, study skills and anxiety. Overall, Fiona is compassionate and enthusiastic about supporting young people for positive personal development and independence.
- Master of Psychology (Educational and Developmental), Monash University – MPsych (Ed&Dev)
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology Advanced, Monash University – GDipPsych(Adv)
- Graduate Diploma of Psychology, Monash University – GDipPsych
- Post Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Student Welfare), University of Melbourne – PGDipEdSt(SW)
- Graduate Diploma in Education, University of Melbourne – GDipEd
- Bachelor of Arts, Victoria University – B.A.
- Registered Provisional Psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia, AHPRA
- Member of the Australian Psychological Society (MAPS)
- Member of the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Anxiety and Depression
- Cognitive and Educational Assessments
- Learning Difficulties
- Emotion regulation
- Stress Management
- School and University transitions
- Educational Planning and Differentiation
- Friendships and Social challenges
- Building Resilience
Fiona will be starting in 2021.